Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Homemade Hairspray ~ Removing the Toxins

We always hear about all the toxins in our environment and I have to admit that I've only recently started paying attention, and that happened because I heard something that really hit home. Recently I attended the doTERRA Convention and in several different sessions that I was in, toxins were either the main topic of discussion or had some role in the discussion.  One doctor spoke about the fact that we have always had auto-immune disorders, behavioral problems, cancers even, in our world but how those things are at epidemic proportions now and much of it can be directly linked to the toxins in our environment. As I'm listening to this, I'm thinking about the fact that I have fibromyalgia, GERDS, IBS. Not only that, but all three of my biological children have those three things as well.  On top of that, one of my kids has lupus. My two biological grandkids have GERDS. Something went wrong in my genetic line at some point, wouldn't you say? Maybe it's past time to pay attention.  

One little fact is that the general personal hygiene product that we buy off of the shelf has an average of 9 parabens in the product. Parabens are synthetic antibacterials that are added to the products and are linked to environmental and food allergies, behavioral problems, compromised immune systems, as well as other problems.  

One way I have recently started removing these toxins from our home is by making my own hairspray.  SUPER easy and the hold is just as good as anything I've ever purchased off the shelf! 

Ingredients:
1 cup water
4 tsp. sugar (more or less, depending on the hold you want)
2 drops lavender oil
2 drops rosemary oil
2 drops geranium oil
2 drops peppermint oil
8 oz. glass mist bottle

Directions
1) Combine sugar and water. Bring to a boil until sugar dissolves. Let cool.
2) Put essential oils in mist bottle
3) Pour in cooled sugar water

That's it! It couldn't be easier!  
Use whatever essential oils you want, so totally customizable to you! 

I've been making this for a few months now and love it! Like I said, the hold is just as good as what I used to buy off the shelf at the store, free of those nasty toxins, and no, bugs don't bother me. I have to say that I was a little bit worried about that in the beginning. It was fall and bee time when I started making this and I was afraid I might be swarmed but had absolutely no problem with that at all! 


(This post is also working for my November 4th photo of the day~ Something I can't live without!)


2 comments:

  1. Wow, this is so cool! Lots of times hair spray gives me a headache! I'm going to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unbelievable! I must try this! Who knew you could make hairspray : ) I'm always worried about whats in the spray and the mess it leaves in the bathroom but my hair is so fly away I need it. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete

So glad you stopped by to visit!~ I would love to hear your thoughts and know that you've been by!